The annual Fun Run in Ely this January will be more than just a fundraiser for area clubs – it will be a birthday party.*
Fifty years ago, the Ely Igloos snowmobile club got its start when a group of riders got together for social activities, says Nancy McReady, club secretary. Since the early days, it’s evolved into a service-oriented club that maintains and grooms 125 miles of area trail. There’s even an original member still active in the club, Russ Robertson, who teaches youth safety classes.
The Fun Run highlights the trails in one of Northern Minnesota’s golden triangles: Ely, Tower and Isabella, with Babbitt in between. The trail system includes numerous local trails as well as the main arteries of the Taconite and Tomahawk state trails — which have a terminus in Ely. The trails stretch across three state forests and the Superior National Forest.
Ely is at…
- March 23: Weyerhaeuser, WI. Weyerhaeuser Snowmobile Club Annual Dinner, 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m. at Burdy’s Bar on Main St. Prizes, games and raffles. Kerry Kolek, 715-492-1075 or Burdy’s, 715-353-2873.
- March 25: St. Paul, MN. MnUSA Legislative Reception, www.MnSnowmobiler.org
- March 28-30: Green Bay, WI. 45th Annual AWSC Convention at the Hyatt – Green Bay, 333 Main St. Hospitality, annual meeting, election of AWSC Executive Board, off-site excursion to Packers Stadium Tour available, banquet and quarterly directors meeting. Visit www.awsc.org for details and registration.
- April 5-6: Blaine, MN. Sneak Peek 2015, www.snowsneakpeek.com
- April 6: Jackson, WI. Jackson Moonlighters Annual Pancake Breakfast & Raffle at Doman’s Bar & Grill, Hwy. P, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. $6/adults, $3/kids 8 and under.
- April 8: Fargo, N.D. Sneak Peek 2015, www.snowsneakpeek.com
- April 13: Waunakee, WI. Waunakee Winter Wanderers 28th Annual Farm Toy Show at Waunakee High School, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Craft items, Nascar, construction, Beanie Babies, food, displays, door prizes.
- April 25-27: Little Falls, MN. MnUSA Spring Meeting, www.mnsnowmobiler.org