While the very first snowmobiles had a crude direct drive design, it didn’t take long for early pioneers like Joseph Armand Bombardier to introduce the continuously variable transmission or CVT and they have been here ever since. For certain a lot has changed over the years, but the basic principle of a drive and driven pulley has remained the same.
Like many aspects of this sport, tuning the CVT for improved performance quickly followed. Obviously snowmobile technology and factory calibrations have come a long way. With the advent of fuel injection, semi or direct injection and a host of engine monitoring sensors, today’s snowmobiles are more finely tuned and better calibrated out of the box. Clutching calibrations have improved as well, and newfound technology is allowing more of us to tune these once mysterious transmissions with greater accuracy.
With so many improvements, some have asked if the CVT has finally…
- March 23: Weyerhaeuser, WI. Weyerhaeuser Snowmobile Club Annual Dinner, 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m. at Burdy’s Bar on Main St. Prizes, games and raffles. Kerry Kolek, 715-492-1075 or Burdy’s, 715-353-2873.
- March 25: St. Paul, MN. MnUSA Legislative Reception, www.MnSnowmobiler.org
- March 28-30: Green Bay, WI. 45th Annual AWSC Convention at the Hyatt – Green Bay, 333 Main St. Hospitality, annual meeting, election of AWSC Executive Board, off-site excursion to Packers Stadium Tour available, banquet and quarterly directors meeting. Visit www.awsc.org for details and registration.
- April 5-6: Blaine, MN. Sneak Peek 2015, www.snowsneakpeek.com
- April 6: Jackson, WI. Jackson Moonlighters Annual Pancake Breakfast & Raffle at Doman’s Bar & Grill, Hwy. P, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. $6/adults, $3/kids 8 and under.
- April 8: Fargo, N.D. Sneak Peek 2015, www.snowsneakpeek.com
- April 13: Waunakee, WI. Waunakee Winter Wanderers 28th Annual Farm Toy Show at Waunakee High School, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Craft items, Nascar, construction, Beanie Babies, food, displays, door prizes.
- April 25-27: Little Falls, MN. MnUSA Spring Meeting, www.mnsnowmobiler.org